Have you ever wondered what to do with those old broken crayons? Or whether or not to recycle burned out lightbulbs? Yeah…me too! I also struggle with wanting to come up with a unique gift when inspiration eludes me.
This happened about a week ago when I was scratching my head on how to make a card for a friend’s Daughter’s graduation. I was standing over my workspace pondering when I noticed a box of burned out light bulbs next to a tin of broken crayons. That’s when I got my “Bright Idea”! (and yes if you were wondering I did raise the light bulb over my head…like a cartoon character)
I recently changed a bunch of light bulbs and saved the burned out ones for “Someday”. Someday finally came and I found myself thinking about quotes about being Bright. Like, “The Brightest Bulb” or “The Brightest Crayon in the Box”. Now I know these particular quotes usually contain a negative element but I figured I could change that into a positive sentiment for this project.
After constructing the centerpiece I remembered I had recently picked up some tiny colored clothespins at the Dollar store. In lieu of a card I figured I could attach some bills with the clothespins. Who doesn’t love a money tree?
This project is super easy and fun to create! The best part is that it can be made for less than the price of a traditional card with just a few Dollar store items and supplies you probably already have in your stash!
You Will Need:
- Burned out Lightbulb
- Broken Crayons and Crayon box (on hand or from Dollar store)
- Cardboard or tin Bucket (Target Dollar section or Dollar Store)
- Floral Foam (On hand or Dollar store)
- Floral Picks (On hand or Dollar store)
- Floral Tape (On hand or Dollar store)
- 18 gauge Stem Wire (On had or Dollar store)
- Hot Glue
- Black Sharpie
- Mini clothespins (Dollar Store)
- *Optional: Images from The Octopode Factory (Steampunk Nippers) or Other
- Mod Podge and Copic Markers (For images)
* The image shown is Steampunk Alfie available at The Octopode Factory. Alfie was colored with Copic Markers, then mounted and sealed to grunge paper with Mod Podge. Alfie and a few crayons were hot glued to the inside of an old crayon box and adhered to the front.
1. Cut floral foam to size and glue inside of bucket leaving approx 2 in of space at the top.
2. Use a Sharpie to write message on light bulb.
3. Wire wrap Light bulb and Crayons
4. Attach wire wrapped Light bulb and Crayons to floral picks by stretch wrapping with floral tape. Insert into foam.
5. Apply a generous amount of hot glue or other on top of foam base. Cover with broken Crayons.
6. Melt Crayons with heat gun until shiny. Attach image to front with hot glue.
So there you have it! You can create a fun and unique gift with items found around the house in the amount of time it takes to flip on a light! Well maybe not THAT quick but you get the “Bright” idea
I hope you enjoyed this project. Stay tuned for more…I’m not out of “Bright Ideas” just yet!
Have a bright and shiny day!