When I saw the Stamp It card challenge I knew immediately I wanted to use birds in my design. I still have not gotten over my bird stamp obsession and at this point I doubt I ever will. This is probably my FAVORITE card I have made to date….I’ve gone to the birds!!
This challenge calls for stamping to be the predominant element for the card. Well stamp I did! I stamped EVERYTHING! I never turn down an opportunity to combine a multitude of stamps. For this bird card I ran the gamut of stamps using rubber stamps, cling stamps, and clear stamps. I was able to incorporate golden oldies and new favorites from my collection. I must admit I have been playing with this design for over a week now. This piece took a lot of arranging, re-arranging, experimenting with different backgrounds, and toying with the decision to color or not to color. Everything finally came together last night.
The entire design for my card was built around this stamp and sentiment set…another dollar bin find. Oh how I LOVE dollar stamps!! The sentiment “Birds of a feather flock together” was the perfect jumping off point for this card and gave me the green light I needed to break out all my bird stamps. I knew I wanted to showcase a variety of birds sitting on a branch (variety is the spice of life!!) but none of my branch stamps seemed big enough to hold all the birds I wanted to use. It just so happened that I had forgotten to pick up something at the craft store where I purchased the “Birds of a Feather” stamp and had to return the next day. To my delight I discovered that the Sizzix Branch w/ leaves die I had been eyeing for months now was on clearance! I just couldn’t see paying 19.99 for a die I wouldn’t be using that often but 4.97? I’ll buy that!!
The background was actually the last thing to come together in this design…but for the sake of order I will show it first. I had already stamped the birds and branches and had been experimenting with different backgrounds…sometimes you have to go in through the out door…Raspberry berets optional. This was the winning background. I wanted to add a touch of color to the portion of the card where the birds and branches would be layered so I used this “Starry Night” stamp from Rubber Stampede. This stamp was given to me by a retired Kindergarten teacher I have had it for a few years and never used it until a few weeks ago… it is quickly becoming a favorite. The Flourish background stamp from Ditto was used on the sides of the card. I wanted to create the feeling of feathers. I kept it black and white because I didn’t want to go overboard with color. I was trying to build on a doodle art theme and this stamp reminded me of the days I used to doodle in my notebooks when I should have been paying attention in algebra class.
Getting the branches just right took a lot of trial and error. Originally I wanted to stamp individual sentiments on each leaf but most of the stamps were too big to fit so I used a strip stamp with a variety of words on the whole thing. I wanted to add depth to the branch by mirroring the stamped portion over another branch cut from Kraft cardstock. Again, trial and error fell into play here. I wanted to give the effect of a real tree branch by embossing the Kraft cardstock with a Tim Holtz wood grain embossing folder. I learned the hard way….emboss first…cut second (rookie mistake). For the birds I layered a piece of retro lined paper on top of grunge paper, stamped and cut them out. I wanted to showcase the birds and the grunge paper gave them just the right amount of dimension. I vacillated between coloring them in or not for quite sometime but in the end decided a touch of color never hurt anyone. I used Fantastix and Distress inks to give them just a hint of color as I wanted the lines of the paper to show through which totally goes with the doodle art theme.
I must have been sitting in my studio for a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how to mirror the branch. I was nervous about positioning it with adhesive and screwing it up. I had the Ah-Ha moment when I decided to use the foam dots…and to think I almost used a glue stick!!
Having the leafy portion of the branch popped up on foam dots made it even easier to adhere the birds. I popped them up on foam dots as well which allowed me to sit them on the branch without crushing it down.
I was able to manuever the birds so that the foam dots adhered to the background NOT the branch. All my little birdies appear to be resting comfortable on their perches.
I just love a card with lots of dimension…I think I hit my mark! Thanks for flying with me today! I’d love to hear what you think